Anderson & Kreiger is the preeminent firm in Massachusetts for public law. We represent municipalities and public agencies across the country, providing public sector clients with sophisticated legal services with a keen awareness of the demands on governmental entities. We serve as outside counsel on both routine and specialized areas of law with the goal of providing the same dedication and high level of service to our clients that they provide to their communities.
The A&K Public Law team handles the full range of matters, including:
- Affordable Housing, including Chapter 40B and Local Initiative Program Development
- Airports & Transportation
- Conservation Restrictions, Open Space & Historic Preservation
- Construction Procurement, Contracting & Disputes
- Energy, including Renewable Energy & Solar
- Hazardous Waste and other Environmental Compliance Issues
- Ethics, Open Meeting Law, Public Records Act & Conflicts of Interest
- Internal Investigations
- Land Use, Zoning & Permitting
- Legislative & Regulatory Drafting
- Public Safety
- Real Estate
- Wetlands & Waterways
A&K lawyers acutely understand and appreciate how ethics, reputation, layered regulations, constituent politics, and due process affect the decisions made in public law. We often advise on the routine and the niche, drafting new and updated legislation, and taking the lead on novel issues across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- We crafted the Massachusetts Gaming Commission’s first set of regulations, establishing their protocols for governance, licensing, and other issues surrounding the launch of the gaming industry in the state, helping to stand up the Commission as a new entity.
- We handle highly sensitive matters, including recently overseeing a high-profile investigation into MassDOT.
- We helped public entities react and adapt to the pandemic when one of our attorneys served as outside counsel to Governor Charlie Baker, advising on the most pressing issues faced by the Coronavirus Command Center such as testing, COVID-19 vaccinations, critical communications, reopening strategies, and Paycheck Protection Program loans.
- Our Town Counsel attorneys advise and represent towns on the whole range of municipal matters; when the COVID-19 crisis arose, they gave prompt, round-the-clock advice to local boards, including drafting legislation to help Lexington, Belmont, and Winchester, Massachusetts become the first municipalities to hold remote town meetings.
Our Public Law team has unmatched depth.
A&K is home to:
- Seven attorneys who have served as Town Counsel to Massachusetts towns.
- A former United States Attorney.
- Several former Assistant United States Attorneys.
- A former interim Executive Director of the Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) and General Counsel of the Massport, and a former Civil Chief in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Boston.
- A former Chief Legal Counsel for Governor Charlie Baker.
- A former Chief of the Economic Crimes Unit at the Boston U.S. Attorney’s Office and former Deputy Chief Legal Counsel to Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Governor William Weld.